Employment at ABRAMS
ABRAMS seeks talented individuals with a strong interest in book publishing. Individuals must be able to take initiative, be a team player and have excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Our professional positions range from editorial, graphic design, sales, marketing and publicity to finance and information technology.
To apply for a position at ABRAMS, please complete the employment application by clicking the following link, http://www.abramsbooks.com/apply
ABRAMS is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Senior Editor, Abrams Press and The Overlook Press [ Apply ]
The Senior Editor will be responsible for acquiring and editing books for the text (non-illustrated) adult imprints at Abrams, working with the editorial directors of Abrams Press and The Overlook Press to identify opportunities and appropriate titles for the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquire adult fiction for Overlook in both literary and commercial fiction, including titles at the nexus of the two. Debuts, high-end genre fiction, and new works by established writers are all in the mix.
- Acquire narrative non-fiction for Abrams Press on subjects that might include popular culture, sports, science and nature, current events, memoir, and biography.
- Develop 12 to 15 titles per year to contribute to both imprints.
- Responsibility for concept, content, and author relationships for a diverse list of books including:
- Run profit and loss statements, present titles at Editorial Meetings and Pub Board, negotiating deal terms, and managing project budgets in line with approved acquisition terms.
- Manage new titles through all stages of the editing process; collaborate with managing editorial, design, and production teams on schedules, formats, design, and production of publications.
- Prepare sales materials including fact sheets, catalogue copy, metadata research, and presenting at seasonal launch meetings. Working closely with publicity and marketing staff on promotional plans for acquired titles.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least five to seven years’ experience in an editorial capacity at an adult trade publishing house. Candidates with similar editorial experience in other media will also be considered.
- Strong acquisitions experience, proven sales record, keen understanding of the marketplace, and innovative development skills in both fiction and non-fiction.
- Broad general knowledge of and passion for at some or all of the subject areas above, with established relationships with writers and agents and the ability to conceive and bring in viable projects.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Detail oriented, able to work on several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
Editorial Assistant, Adult Division [ Apply ]
Provide administrative and editorial assistance to three acquiring editors.
- Assist three acquiring editors in all editorial and administrative capacities on a wide range of titles/categories
- Create comp sheets and fact sheets
- Write catalogue copy and cover copy
- Attend and actively participate in all editorial acquisition meetings
- Aid editors in vetting agented submissions for quality (requires reading a high volume of manuscripts weekly and writing detailed reader’s reports)
- Submit estimate requests to Production
- Submit deal memos for contract requests and contractual payments
- Draft P&Ls before and after Pub Board meetings
- Communicate with authors, photographers, artists, and agents on behalf of editors as needed
- Respond to agented proposals/submissions/inquiries
- Assist with launch and sales conference preparation
- Liaise with other departments as needed
- Bachelor’s degree desired
- Internship in the publishing industry preferred
- Copyediting/proofreading experience preferred.
- Have a strong interest in illustrated books, specifically lifestyle
- Must be highly organized, and able to juggle multiple priorities
- Must be very organized and possess the ability to work independently and follow through consistently on assignments.
- Must be detailed oriented with strong communication skills.
- Excellent grammar, spelling, communication, and writing skills.
Senior Designer- Graphic Novels [ Apply ]
Manage and design graphic novels across all imprints including Amulet Books (middle-grade to young adult) and Abrams ComicArts (adult) imprints with special focus on our two newest ComicArts sub-imprints, MEGASCOPE and Surely.
- Design graphic novel covers and assist illustrators with art direction
- Assist and guide illustrators to provide final art files within the requirements for each book
- Concept and develop approximately 15-20 new titles per year
- Provide art direction and support to Associate Art Director and Art Director on design projects
- Scout, hire and art direct freelance designers
- Layout interior pages into design mechanicals
- Make corrections to routing mechanicals and release to production
- Review and color correct proofs
- Troubleshoot file/art/prepress issues.
- 5-7 years of design experience in book design/publishing and/or comic-related field
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team-setting: work closely with fellow designers, editors and production managers
- Excellent organizational, communication, and time management skills
- Creativity, originality, willingness to experiment, learn, grow and share knowledge with the design and editorial teams
- A solid working knowledge and interest in the graphic novel and comic book industry
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite on a Mac platform
- Interest and knowledge of children’s books and illustration
- Book cover design and/or graphic novel experience strongly preferred
- Relationships with creators and comic-industry professionals, a plus
- Comic-style lettering skills a huge plus
Digital & Social Media Marketing Coordinator [ Apply ]
ABRAMS seeks a dynamic, detail-oriented, social media-savvy, and strategic thinker to join the Marketing team. This exciting opportunity is for someone passionate about both the digital consumer landscape and great books and authors, who will help our team grow the ABRAMS presence across all major social media platforms while increasing the online discoverability of titles spanning the children’s and adult trade lists. The ideal candidate will be a creative, results driven “doer” with excellent communication and writing skills and a strong design aesthetic, who lives and breathes social media, and who thrives on finding new and exciting ways to bring attention to beautifully designed, artful, and interesting books.
The Digital & Social Media Marketing Coordinator will be responsible for content creation across Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and support the team on title-specific digital initiatives across all categories and imprints at ABRAMS—from bestselling pictures books and middle grade series including the Questioneers and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, to young adult titles and major licensed properties like Star Wars, Marvel, and Avatar, the Last Airbender, to cookbooks and literary fiction from star-studded talent like chef Matty Matheson and Booker Prize nominee Avni Doshi.
This position reports jointly to the Senior Manager, Digital & Social Media Marketing, Children’s Books and the Digital & Social Media Manager, Adult.
- Contribute to overall social media strategy, including copy writing and content creation, across Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for the Abrams Books, Abrams Kids, and Pique Beyond accounts
- Oversee community management for all social media platforms, while keeping abreast of industry trends
- Participate actively in campaign brainstorming and management, supporting the department on title-specific digital initiatives and managing execution as needed
- Develop strategy for seasonal and title-specific digital assets, acting as a department liaison with outside vendors for items including professional photography and animated cover GIFs
- Spearhead digital and social campaign tracking and analytics, including weekly and monthly internal reports and postmortems
- Assist in maintaining overall Amazon.com marketing strategy across desktop, mobile, and tablet channels
- Develop email marketing strategy across all contact lists (consumer and industry facing) and execute departmental newsletter initiatives, including building, deploying, and providing analytics; work closely with Marketing Managers to advise on best practices regarding content
- Manage ABRAMS presence across Goodreads, including execution and fulfillment of sweepstakes and troubleshooting listing errors
- Support and attend, as needed, author and house-specific events to provide content coverage on social media; represent ABRAMS at industry and consumer shows as needed
- Collaborate with key in-house departments on projects, including: School & Library Marketing, Trade/Consumer Marketing, Sales, Publicity, and Editorial
- Administrative tasks to include: managing key word program, budget maintenance and forecasting, creating presentations or slides for key internal and external meetings, updating marketing plans and tracking grids, website updates and facilitating mailings.
- Support the Senior Manager, Digital & Social Media Marketing, Children’s Books and the Digital & Social Media Manager, Adult as needed on related projects, including administrative tasks
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment; Creative, innovative self-starter who can work well independently as well as part of a team; Natural multi-tasker who is comfortable shifting course and pivoting as needed mid-project; Open-minded partner who flourishes in a collaborative and creative environment; Exhibits the ability to jump from the creative side of marketing to the analytical side; Easily builds and maintain relationships effectively with different management levels and personalities
- Four-year college degree preferred
- 1-2 years digital/social media marketing experience, preferably in trade publishing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Comprehensive knowledge of Social Media platforms, including associated advertising and corresponding analytic tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok)
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, email marketing services, such as Mailchimp, and HTML
Managing Editorial Assistant [ Apply ]
Provide general editorial and administrative support to the Managing Editorial Department of a midsize illustrated book publisher with an annual list of 200+ titles, with a focus on metadata management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the senior members of Managing Editorial department in working with the Editorial, Design, and Production departments to guide books through the preproduction process
- Use Title Management Module database to set up entries for individual titles, track book data (specifications, etc.) and schedules, and update information
- Work with the Senior Director managing the metadata feed by sending updates and troubleshooting
- Create barcodes
- Apply for CIP data
- General administrative duties, as assigned
- Copyedit and proofread books, jackets, and marketing materials
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent copyediting (on hard copy and electronically) and proofreading skills
- Working knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Position requires accuracy, careful attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and follow through consistently
- Must be highly organized, energetic, and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently and calmly
- Must be able to manage time and meet deadlines
- Must be able to work collaboratively and diplomatically across departments
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Experience working on illustrated books a plus
- Familiarity with electronic markup/Acrobat Pro a plus